Thursday, April 29, 2010

Roger Ebert Wrote A Sex Pistols Film? What?

Yes, the legendary film critic wrote a film for the Pistols entitled Anarchy In The U.K. which was going to be produced by the late Malcolm McLaren and directed by the late Russ Meyer (Ebert also wrote Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, Up! and Beneath The Valley Of The Ultra-Vixens for Meyer prior to this). According to Spinner, the film would change its title to Who Killed Bambi?. Who Killed Bambi? resulted in only two days of filming due to financial issues and the band's breakup. 

The footage from the cancelled film was used for Julian Temple's The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and the script had been lost until now. On his blog, Ebert posted a copy of the long lost script along with the statement: 


"This, for the benefit of future rock historians, is the transscript of a screenplay I wrote in the summer of 1977. It was tailored for the historic punk rock band the Sex Pistols, and was to be directed by Russ Meyer and produced by the impresario, Malcolm McLaren. It still carried its original title, "Anarchy in the U.K.," although shortly after I phoned up with a suggested title change, which was accepted: "Who Killed Bambi?" I wrote about this adventure in my blog entry, McLaren & Meyer & Rotten & Vicious & me. Discussions with Meyer, McLaren and Rene Daalder led to this draft. All I intend to do here is reprint it. Comments are open, but I can't discuss what I wrote, why I wrote it, or what I should or shouldn't have written. Frankly, I have no idea."

Thank you, Roger Ebert for sharing this lost piece of rock history and for sharing a story about its creation.


MusicBlips

No comments:

Post a Comment