Thursday, June 9, 2011

Video Graveyard


Musicians are clearly the spokespeople for any business from restaurant chains (MC Hammer for Kentucky Fried Chicken) to filing taxes (Vanilla Ice for TurboTax). Why not? People love music and, furthermore, they buy products so it is a winning combination. The downside to this is that, usuallly, the ads are extremely cheesy and do very little to help the artist's reputation (see MC Hammer ads circa 1991-93 for any and all examples). In this case,it increases my love for a band and makes me hungry. This is an ad for an Atlanta restaurant, Elmyr, featuring Mastodon guitarist/vocalist Brent Hinds that parodies pharmaceutical ads and is as spot on of a parody as one would need to be. The only thing missing is Hinds riding a motorcycle but still there is golf, yoga, fishing and the guitarist eating a deliciously huge burrito. Hands down, this commercial makes me love Mastodon even more than I already do which is close to impossible. Now if only I had a burrito in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment